Sunday, January 10, 2010

Seared Tuna and Asparagus

Warning: college-student-unfriendly recipe ahead.

Now that I've warned you, I can tell you that I have an obsession with onions. I love them. They are my absolute favorite vegetable and I could eat them everyday. But I don't. I don't want to smell like an onion. So when I do cook with onions, I make sure to use as much as possible. I was going to order a pizza tonight since I'm home alone but decided that since I hadn't had onions in a while, tonight would be the perfect time to stink up the house with them. Also, I went to the Mavericks game last night and ate a foot-long chili cheese dog and loads of fries so I felt like I should eat something a little more healthy and a little less fried (even though pizza is not fried).



Seared Tuna with Soy-Onion Sauce and Garlic Asparagus

Tuna with Soy-Onion Sauce:
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp butter
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce

1 sushi-grade ahi tuna steak
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp unsalted butter

1. Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add butter and soy sauce to pan and stir until mixed. Remove from heat and transfer to small bowl.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the tuna.
3. Heat small skillet to medium-high heat. Melt butter in skillet. Place tuna in skillet and sear on one side for 2 minutes. Flip tuna steak over and sear on other side for 1-2 minutes. The middle should still be rare and very pink.
4. Remove from pan and serve with sauce.

Garlic Asparagus:
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/3 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and black pepper, to taste

1. Melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Place onions and asparagus in pan and cook until asparagus is tender and onions are lightly browned, 5-10 minutes.
2. Add garlic, mix, and turn off heat. Let sit for 1 minute.
3. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

1 serving

1 comment: