Monday, January 18, 2010

Salmon Fish Sticks

Yesterday I returned to Austin; my last semester of college starts tomorrow. Today I went to the grocery store because, well, I have a food blog. I've never seen so many people at a grocery store at one time. I waited in line for at least 15 minutes just to check out. And let's not get into how long it took me to find the kind of lettuce I wanted. So. Many. People.



The funny thing is, tonight I cooked what I already had in my refrigerator. I was a little skeptical when I saw Giada making this on Food Network but decided to give it a try. I thought the fish sticks would be soggy and wouldn't be able to be held but in fact, they were crisp and perfect. Here's to the Omega-3!

Salmon Fish Sticks
Adapted from Everyday Italian

Fishsticks:
1 4-6 oz salmon fillet, deskinned
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 egg white
4 Tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp Gouda, grated
Olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Pat the salmon fillet dry with a paper towel. Cut the fillet into 4 pieces lengthwise.
2. Place the flour in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place the egg white in another bowl and beat until frothy. Combine the breadcrumbs and cheese in a third bowl.
3. Coat the fish pieces in flour, dip in the egg white, and roll in bread crumbs, gently pressing the mixture into the fish. Place the salmon pieces on a well-oiled baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Dipping Sauce:
1 Tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plain yogurt
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp chopped fresh basil

1. Mix all ingredients in a small dipping bowl and serve alongside the fish sticks.

Serves 1

1 comment:

  1. definitely going to try this one for Lent! Fridays, here we come!

    ReplyDelete