Friday, January 8, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes

Good morning!

I've been sleeping for 11-12 hours every night lately and waking up too late to eat breakfast so today, I decided to wake up early and change that.


Normally I make waffles because I love my waffle iron and the little nooks are great for holding lots of butter and maple syrup (I'm a true maple syrup snob. None of that artificial syrup for me). However, I left my waffle iron in Austin so I've decided to try my hand at pancakes. I'm awful with a spatula. The batter goes everywhere instead of in the pan. But I tried. At least I got to use my pink tulip-shaped Williams-Sonoma spatula. Yes, it is for kids. Yes, it is cute, Yes, it works.


The book I took this recipe from says to "avoid overmixing the batter to ensure that the pancakes will be airy." It also says to use homemade buttermilk, with an accompanying recipe. I didn't do that. I mean, I woke up early to make the pancakes - I didn't think it was necessary to wake up (or not go to bed) at 11 pm and wait 12 hours to make the buttermilk.



Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from The Home Creamery

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, stirred well
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 cup butter, melted

1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Whisk the buttermilk, milk, egg, and vanilla extract in another bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just blended but still lumpy; do not overmix.
2. Spread 1/2 tablespoon melted butter on a hot griddle over medium heat. Pour the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot griddle, spacing 2 inches apart. Cook until bubbles break on the surface, about 3 minutes. Turn pancakes over. Cook until bottoms are golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed.

Yield: 10 pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment