Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sole Meuniere

Today is Ash Wednesday. This is a fact. I went to church and I have a cross on my head. Another fact about Ash Wednesday: fast day. A great fact about it being both Ash Wednesday and thus fast day: I buy wayyy too much food at the grocery store. Being hungry and going to the grocery store does not bode well but what's even worse is being hungry and going to Central Market. I ended up buying so much food that I won't have to leave my apartment for a month. Seriously. I think I should share a small list of a small portion of my huge shopping excursion:
Filet Mignon
Lamb chops
Chicken thighs
Sole fillets
Bacon (What?! I don't even like bacon...)
Grapes, lemons, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, asparagus, bananas, juice, milk, yogurt etc. etc. etc.

My friends, I have a problem. I like food too much. But that's good news for this blog! A couple of posts from last week will post this week since I didn't have time to upload pictures to them and really wanted y'all to see the beauty of the food. After all, what looks like it tastes good must taste good, right?



Sole Meuniere
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 fresh sole fillets
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp minced fresh Italian parsley

1. Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large shallow plate. Pat the sole fillets dry with paper towels and sprinkle one side with salt.
2. Heat the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan over medium heat until it starts to brown.
3. Dredge 2 sole fillets in the seasoned flour on both sides and place them in the hot butter. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes. Turn carefully with a metal spatula and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. While the second side cooks, add the lemon zest and lemon juice to the pan. Carefully put the fish fillets on a plate and pour the sauce over them. Sprinkle with the parsley, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.

Serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment