Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sausage-stuffed Mushrooms and Garlic Spinach

I foresee lots of mushroom and spinach dishes for the next few days. I went to Costco this weekend for most of my groceries and those bulk packages that feed families of six are going to feed a (very) large mouth of one. So today I bring you...mushrooms and spinach!

[Insert pretty picture that I took of the mushrooms and spinach here. I took one. Then I deleted it on accident. It was a good picture too.]

For the sausage-stuffed mushroom recipe, I actually made a pasta sauce with Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, onions, and tomato vodka sauce a couple nights ago. I only ate half of it and decided to save the rest for a night when I didn't want to cook. I could just throw it over pasta and voila - a meal! But I wanted to use the mushrooms so I decided to just stuff them with this mixture. Thus the recipe below for the sausage-onion-tomato-mixture will feed you for two meals. Also, I bet the mushrooms would taste really good with mozzarella on top but I used Swiss because that's what I had. It was so good that I ended up making on e batch of 7 mushrooms for myself then proceeded to make another 4 once I had finished eating the first 7. See, I told you I have a large mouth.

Sausage-stuffed Mushrooms and Garlic Sauteed Spinach
Sausage-stuffed Mushrooms:
1/2 roll of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage
1 small yellow onion, chopped
(1/2 Tbsp olive oil)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup tomato vodka sauce
14 Cremini mushroom caps, wiped clean
1/3 cup shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place the sausage and onions in a large saute pan. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Add the olive oil if the sausage doesn't provide enough drippings. Once the sausage is done cooking, add the garlic and tomato sauce and stir until heated through.
3. Stuff the mushroom caps with the sausage mixture, top with the cheese, and place in a greased baking dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Garlic Sauteed Spinach:
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves chopped garlic
3/4 pound baby spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter

1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic for about 1 minute but not until it is browned.
2. Add the spinach, salt, and pepper, toss it with the garlic and olive oil, cover the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover the pot, turn the heat to high, and cook the spinach for another minute with a wooden spoon until it is wilted.
3. Using a slotted spoon, lift the spinach to a serving bowl, top with butter and serve hot.

Serves 2

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I really want to taste this one and I know more about your daily activities from this blog than other media. Love you and focus on your study.

    ReplyDelete