Sunday, May 2, 2010

Texas Sweet Tea

I've been drinking tea for years but it's funny because this is the first time I've ever tried to make iced tea. In the summer I love to drink sweet tea (I am Texan after all) but some places still don't serve it and if I ever fulfill my dream of moving to New York or London, I'll need to know how to make my own sweet tea. With that said, I made a quart of passion tea yesterday and today, I'm making sweet tea. The last time I went to Whole Foods, there was a sale on the house brand's organic black tea so I bought a box. A big box filled with 80 tea bags. Now, some days I'll drink two or three cups of tea but when I add these 80 tea bags to my collection of other teas, there's no way it will all get consumed. Enter: Texas sweet tea. This is probably not the real recipe (in fact, I'm sure it's not) but it's pretty tasty and I know I'll be drinking it for a long time.

I also get to reuse my glass jars that I save from lemonade and tea and that's always a plus in my book!



Texas Sweet Tea

1 quart (4 cups) filtered water
5 black tea bags
1/2 cup white sugar

1. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat and add the tea bags. Let the tea bags sit for 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Remove tea bags, squeezing them as you go. Pour in the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let cool.
3. Pour into glass containers, lightly screw on lids, and place in the refrigerator until cold.

Makes about 1 quart

No comments:

Post a Comment