Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bolognese

Oy vey. Who is the worst blogger to date? That would be me. But I think a really great recipe will make up for it (at least I hope so).

Lately (in case you're wondering why I've been MIA):
- Very sick the past two weeks
- Thesis Symposium that went really well
- Mom visiting for Honors Day and the Thesis Symposium
- New M1 welcome for med school
- New candle and sweater
- Trying to sublet my apartment
- Snail mail from Sydney and Annelise
- 2 more weeks of school (of college)! Eeek!

Now on to the recipe. I've always relied on this bolognese recipe but I had a package of Italian sausage that I wanted to use and I didn't have any mushrooms so I decided to make traditional bolognese with meat - except that mine has Italian sausage in it instead of ground beef.



Bolognese

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
2 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp white sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a large pot, add the olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for another 5 minutes.
2. Raise the heat to high and add the sausage. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
3. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in can crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, Italian herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until sauce thickens.
5. Serve hot over pasta.

Serves 4 to 6

No comments:

Post a Comment